No, I’m not asking you to climb a skyscraper without a safety harness.
My dares are far less dangerous than that. Writing Dares are great for getting those creative juices flowing. So, in honor of National Novel Writing Month, try to incorporate at least one of the following dares into a story you are currently working on. I DARE you!
1. Have a character knit something using only wet noodles and chopsticks.
2. Have a maddened Harry Harrison fan tries to break into a bank.
3. A main character throws themselves off a cliff, only to be miraculously saved by a French poodle.
4. Someone speaks in nothing but Shakespeare quotes throughout the story (for everything – ordering a drink in a restaurant, buying groceries, etc.).
-Bonus Points if it’s for a really good reason.
5. A building is demolished and a mysterious box is discovered in the foundation.
-Bonus Points if there’s a frog in it.
6. Someone breaks into song in the middle of a public place. Later, it’s revealed to be for an excellent reason.
7. An alien craft is sighted.
-Bonus Points if it’s an advertising gimmick.
-Double Bonus Points if you can work the words ‘anal’ and ‘probe’ inconspicuously into the story.
8. A mysterious portal to another place (time, dimension, etc.) appears in the sidewalk in front of a character. The character falls into the portal.
9. One of your characters falls deeply in love with a cartoon character.
10. A giant, purple, space squid appears somewhere in your story.